Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dinner on a snow day

 So I have been out of school for Thursday and Friday which means I have been cooking and baking non-stop! Since the weather has been cold I have made 2 different kinds of soups. Brock and I had soup on Thursday night then I made soup tonight for my friend Mandy who came over to hang out while her hubby was having guys night and Brock was working.
Brock and I love spicy food! I can't get it hot enough for Brock. He is always adding more spice to everything I make except for my new Spicy Chicken soup I made on Thursday. It was perfect! No extras needed! One thing about this soup is that it is so so so so so easy to make. If you have 30 minutes you can have a warm bowl of spicy soup and a jalapeno grilled cheese sandwich.
So here it is...my first recipe post. I have pictures too....but I'm going to have to figure out how to get them on here...lol.  I'll start with the recipes first.

Spicy Chicken Soup
Ingredients:
2 cups of bit sized cooked chicken (I used Oscar Mayer deli fresh southwestern seasoned chicken breast)
1 can of Chicken Broth
1 3/4 cups of water
1/4 cup of green onions
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tablespoon of diced jalapenos (i just used some from the one I cut up for the sandwiches)
1 teaspoon of butter
3/4 cup of frozen corn
1 cup of salsa (hot)
3 to 4 shakes of Chili powder
Sour cream and shredded cheese (optional)

Jalapeno Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Ingredients:
4 Slices of bread (2 sandwiches)
2/3 cup of shredded Colby-monterey jack cheese
1 large jalapeno diced (or used the diced ones from a jar)
1 tablespoon of butter (or non-stick spray)

Directions:
In your pot melt butter and add onions, jalapenos, and garlic. Simmer till fragrant (about 5 minutes). Add cut up chicken and sprinkle in the chili powder. Add in chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Add corn once soup is boiling and turn the stove down to medium heat. Let it simmer for 15 minutes and let it come to a boil again on medium heat stirring occasionally. While you are waiting on the soup to finish up go a head and start on the jalapeno grilled cheese sandwiches.

You can use any bread you want but Brock and I use low-carb bread. I like to use shredded colby-monterey jack cheese. I like the taste and it melts fairly quick. I just put a handful of shredded cheese (about 1/3 cup per sandwich) on one piece of bread. On top of that I pile on diced jalapenos (with or with out the seeds...depending on how hot you want it).  Like I said we like it hot so I just dice them and pile them on....lots of them! :)  Top with the 2nd piece of bread. I use my George Foreman grill as a sandwich press....it is fabulous and super easy! Butter the top and bottom of the grill. Put your sandwich on the grill and close the lid. It won't take long for them to get finished...maybe 3 to 5 minutes at the most. Keep a close eye on them because you don't want them to burn. I can fit two sandwiches on my grill at one time.  Once the sandwiches are finished I like to cut mine in 1/2 (from corner to corner) for easier dipping. :)
The soup should be finished so dish up and enjoy. I put a dollop of sour cream and a few sprinkles of cheese on top of the soup. It was spicy and warm. Just what we needed on a cold snowy night!
Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think! :)

Chau!
Kim

0 comments: