Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A snow day treat

Again it is another snow day. Looks like I will be in school till mid June! Blah! These days are wonderful because I can spend the day in the kitchen and getting the house cleaned but in turn when it is hot outside and I want to be swimming or planning a vacation I will still be in school. Oh well.
Our patio...at noon...and it is still snowing!!!!

I wanted to make a snack this afternoon that Brock, his brother Blake, Whitney (gf), and I could enjoy tonight while we play games or watch movies. So I made cinnamon sugar pecans. These are super easy and amazingly delicious!!!  If you don't like pecans you can make these with whole almonds. I made pecans and almonds at Christmas time and they only lasted a few hours. The best part about these are they make your house smell like the roasted nut shop at the mall. It is delightful!

What you will need is:  a bag of nuts (I used pecans), 1 cup of splenda, 1/2 cup of splenda brown sugar, 1/4 cup of cinnamon, 1 egg white, and a splash of water.
Preheat your oven to 200. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl mix the egg white and a little bit of water together till it is kinda frothy. 
In another bowl combine sugars and cinnamon mix really well. Making sure that there aren't clumps of brown sugar. Drop in some pecans or whatever kind of nut you are using into the egg mixture. Coat well. I used my hands to make sure they were all moisten with the mix. Transfer the nuts to the bowl with sugars and cinnamon. Toss with a slotted spoon. Make sure they are covered with the sugar mixture also. Then scoop them out with the slotted spoon and place on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until all nuts are covered with sugar mixture and are on the cookie sheet ready for the oven. 
Pecans in egg mixture
Pecans in sugar mixture.
About to go on the cookie sheet
Ready to bake!
Once you have all your nuts on the cookie sheet, bake for 30 minutes. Be careful not to burn the nuts. The nuts should be crunchy with a chewy outside. YUMMO!!!!!

Right out of the oven

DELICIOUS!!!


Plans for tonight include dinner pizza soup and pressed sandwiches on homemade rosemary focaccia style bread (low carb). Then some games or movies while we munch on the cinnamon sugar pecans!

Stay warm on this freezing day! I will post our dinner recipes tomorrow since school has already been canceled!!! :)

Chau!

1 comments:

TiffanyDanae said...

Kim, I made these last weekend, and they were AMAZING!!! I just made some tonight with almonds. Thanks for the recipe! :o)